THE CORNERSTONES OF THE SHEPARD ACADEMY
What Would You Do?
In life events are constantly unfolding us with people making entrances and exists often times without our evening noticing them. Every so often we are witnesses to something that touches, shocks, or even angers us. In that moment we are all confronted with the question, what do we do about it? Most often we choose to not engage because we are taught to stay out of other people's business or that it would simply be easier to keep our heads down and simply walk away. During these exercises I want you to constantly ask yourself, what would I do if I had been there?
What did you do?
Activity #1: Grocery Store
The grocery store is the great fishbowl of life in the fact that everyone has to go there. Think about the variety of things that go on at a grocery store: economics, parenting, nutrition, relationships, etc. Can you think of a time at the grocery store when something happened and you or others responded, watched it play or, or got out of dodge as quickly as possible.
- When you hear or see someone using an EBT Card of food stamps what goes through your mind?
- When someone uses coupons at the checkout lane what do you think?
Activity #2 The Beauty/ Barber Shop
- If you began dating someone outside of your faith how would your family react?
- If you began dating someone outside of your ethnicity how would your family react?
- What difficulties do you think mixed race couples might face that same race couples may not?
- Is there a different standard in society depending on the gender of the mixed race couple? (ie Caucasian Female & African-American Male vs. Caucasian Male & African-American Female?)
Activity #3 Convenience Store
- We all have an internal fight or flight stage built into us, what are things that you see or hear that "alert" your senses?
- What does it mean to be patriotic?
- Have you ever heard of a situation where someone made a quick judgement about someone and then once they got to know them their opinion changed?